Thursday, December 5, 2013

Chobani


I love the use of distinct colors for each of Chobani's products, but I think they could make their packaging much more aesthetically pleasing, which will ultimately help sales. I don't like the fact that so much of its retail space is dedicated to the color white. Another gripe I have is that these cups are the most awkward thing in the world trying to hold in the same hand. Don't even THINK about holding 3 in the same hand; not gonna happen. Chobani has lost sales from me simply because I could not carry their product effectively.


There are 2 things, from a packaging perspective that need to be resolved:

-Visual/Aesthetics
-Construction

I see a lot of potential just from a visual perspective. The short answer is that I want them to have less  white and have more color; if they were to simply inverse the colors on their packaging it would look much better. I am fine with each of the specific colors, but I just think that these colors should be more prolific on each cup.

The colors are simply a visual representative of their product. Consumers are currently able to distinguish Chobani products from the rest of the yogurts, why not add emphasis on the colors and really let them stick out from competing products? This leads to the construction of the products:
I like the circular nature of the design, but I definitely hate the fact that there is a huge gap between all cups. It gives off a non-uniform look that ultimately hurts the aesthetics of the brand.

Lining up two cups side-by-side, I found that the gap between the two bottoms of the cups turned out to be 3.4 centimeters. The bottom of a single cup is 5.6 centimeters; meaning that the gap accounts for ~60.7% of the length of a single cup, which seems like a lot in my view. From a geometric perspective: if you were to see two cups side-by-side as a trapezoid, the gap in the middle accounts for roughly ~10% of the area in the trapezoid. Maybe not too much, but it adds up, especially from a real estate perspective.

Anyways, the point is that the gap doesn't look good. There is some great potential for Chobani to really separate themselves from other products if:

1. They use each of their colors as primary colors, instead of the current secondary color look
2. Uniform design was implemented. It is a bonus Chobani product are mostly (or always) placed together; take advantage of this and give your products a "connected" feel.
3. The products are stackable. I'm a poker guy so let me say that this is a "leak" that needs to be plugged.

As I said, as much white as possible should be  eliminated, evidenced by:



In settings like these, nothing about Chobani really stands out.

-     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -


That was only looking at your brand from a visual perspective. I have plenty of other considerations that you should look over if you want to keep consumers interested in your brand:

  • Rewards system. I personally buy plenty of Chobani cups; it would be nice that if I bought a certain amount, I could be rewarded in some way. Since you have so many flavors, make a game out of it. I think the easiest way for someone to account for all the cups they buy is that once you purchase the product from a store, you can scan each barcode with your phone, and your Chobani app keeps tab of all the product you buy. I just checked my iPhone and see that you DON'T have an iOS app. It's 2013; that should be a crime. 2 clicks: open app, press scan. It's as easy as that. #ChobaniPoints
  • Social. I'm sure some great pictures can be made from the visual colors of your products. Chobani should take advantage of this in the social space. Maybe even make a competition where others can vote their favorite picture and winners earn #ChobaniPoints
  • I read somewhere that you weren't currently interested in expanding your product line. That's fine, but for future consideration: yogurt parfait & froyo.


No comments:

Post a Comment