Wednesday, November 6, 2013

THE Phablet

I don't want an oversized phone that can't fit into my pocket, but I do want a large screen. Is there an answer to this? My answer is yes, and I believe it is THE answer to the "Phablet".

The concept is simple. I want a smartphone that flips out, twice. Screen #1 could probably be no larger than a standard Youtube website video (lets use that as a standard). This folds out hamburger style into a size that is probably now considered "Phablet" sized. Then the screen can flip out AGAIN into essentially a tablet. I'm no engineer but I don't see why this wouldn't be feasible.

Drawing:


Simple but brilliant. Imagine being able to divvy up the 4 sections: Youtube video in the top right, Word document in bottom right, Twitter feed on left side (when link clicked, Twitter stays on top left and website goes to bottom left). I just don't see any downside of such a product.

People are so limited in what they can do on their small iPhone screen. Yet, if they want to look at larger screens, there comes a point where the screen is simply to large carry around in a reasonable manner (i.e. in my pocket). I personally am sick of having to stare at such a small screen (*cough* iPhone *cough*). Tablets are great because of screen size but they simply aren't portable. This should be seen as a portable tablet. Ultimately I think Apple is the best company for such a job because I know they'll focus on design, but whoever gets it on market first will have a tremendous advantage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment